South Gate Church of Christ
Sunday, May 16, 2021


Our History


The Mapleash church of Christ had its beginning in a little store building on Mapleash Avenue on May 10, 1953, with Brother F.H. Curtis speaking. Approximately 50 people were present and the contribution was approximately $150. Earlier in the year, the Riverside congregation (now North View) made the decision to go to Ninth Street and vicinity with the Gospel. Brethren Wayne Ball, Clarence Holman, J.C. Cheek, Howard Maxwell and Jimmy Wilson volunteered to go to do the work. The building was leased to Riverside for 12 months. If interest was sufficient, they would then build. In September of the same year, Clyde Balderson began work as the first regular preacher.


First Mapleash Building in 1953


In October, 1953, the site of the old Eastside building was purchased from Ulna Huckaby. The congregation name was changed to Eastside church of Christ. Dedication of the new building took place in December, 1954.  Because of continued growth, additional classrooms were added in 1958, and a 500-seat auditorium was dedicated in 1968.  In 2012 a new campus was built on Pulaski Hwy and the Eastside congregation started meeting in the new building in November under the name South Gate.  There have been name changes and structural changes here and there but the purpose and dedication of the people have been unwavering.


Second Eastside Building



Third Eastside Building



South Gate campus